Thursday, July 3, 2008

FOB Delta - Part II


As it has been several months since I posted anything to this blog I feel almost ashamed to do so now.  But as I have previously posted internet access is not a luxury.  However, time has marched on and so has my life at FOB Delta.  The details of my day to day life here (although currently I am once again in Ali Al Salem) are fairly routine.  On May 24th we did move into CHUS (Crappy Housing Units) that are new and provide me with a space to myself.  Plus, there are showers and latrines nearby.  The dining facility, PX and other MWR facilities are within walking distance.  Gone are the days of living in the bunkers!!!

The CHUS have there bad side as well - they are loud as you can hear your neighbor on each side of you....hell, you can hear when someone walks by on the gravel outside of your room.  Speaking of gravel - it is everywhere here in theatre.  You get extremely tired of trudging over it day after day - it wears you out and is killer on your shoes.  But, as with everything it does keep the dust down.  And so, speaking of dust this brings me to another disadvantage of CHU life - DUST!  It gets everywhere in your room!!!!  The problem is mainly the doors as they do not come with any type of rubber seal around them.  Iraq has some hellacious dust storms - they grind things to a halt very quickly.

I like most of the work that I do.  However, time has gone by very slowly for me.  I wish that I could say otherwise.  But, without a lot of entertainment options you find yourself going stir crazy at times.  So, I find that a good idea to write a blog has gone by the wayside due to my lack of internet availability.  And, the days do really start to run together.  Some are marked by work accomplishments, failures, frustrations, etc. At times you really start to wonder why you are here.  It is difficult to have a job that really has no end to it.....Iraq will be changed once the U.S. leaves (if we ever do) but if you understand the history of this country a lot will have remained the same.  One can only hope history doesn't repeat itself.  



No comments: